As an estate agent one of my biggest frustrations can be that people don’t think to call us in early enough in the process when they are thinking of moving or extending.
Over the years I have been through I can’t imagine how many thousands of homes. I find it fascinating to sit down with people and discuss their plans for extending and take all that experience I have and put it to good use for them.
There are a couple of things I always tend to find myself saying.
- Don’t just focus on cost, focus on the impact to your lives.
- Your home will feel very different once extended, that can be good and bad.
- Extend sympathetically, not only for the room proportions but for the surrounding area.
- Be cautious about extending if you find your budget is forcing you to compromise.
- Ask in your estate agent, builders and architect and get their opinions.
Getting feedback from people who see other homes daily can be invaluable. So often I have added ideas that have helped people solve dilemmas with odd spaces, the flow of accommodation or just made suggestions on the basis of, ‘yes but when you come to sell people will be looking for this.’
You would be surprised with how many ‘great idea if we do this’ moments end up on the scrap heap.
Extending home can be exciting and rewarding, it can also be costly and disappointing.
It’s your home and your future, get as much advice as possible before you start the process.
You can find more information and advice in our Graham John Blog Extending my home: how much money will I make and; Extend or Move.