Nigel Barr, Managing Director of BBS Building Control Ltd outlines the process and benefits of using an Approved Inspector.
Nigel is Past Chairman of the Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors and currently Vice-Chairman. He Is a Past President of the Institute of Building Control, on the board of the CIOB Faculty of Building Control and Standards, Panel Chairman and representative on the CICAIR for Approved Inspector interviews and Complaints Panels Nigel has worked in Building Control for 42 years.
Nigel and Paul Boyce established BBS Building Control in 2001 and are joint Directors of Bespoke Builder Services Ltd (Environmental Consultancy) and BBS Site Services LLP (Health & Safety and Quality Auditing Consultancy and Party Wall Surveyors).
BBS Building Control is a leading Corporate Approved Inspector approved by the Construction Industry Council (CIC) for providing Building Control services on all types of construction projects servicing over 5000 projects annually.
Their client-focused services include early design advice, detailed plan and structural checking and site inspections tailored to each individual projects construction programme.
They work in partnership with clients and designers providing consistency and dedicated support across all your projects, wherever they are located. BBS are not selective over schemes they are involved with, if you are designing, building or developing then they will provide Building Control. Local delivery through their network of five regional offices and qualified surveying teams support you throughout the process.
BBS Building Control Surveyors have extensive experience in all types of scheme and building uses. BBS services range from domestic extensions through industrial/commercial buildings to new dwellings and multi-storey apartments and large mixed-use developments.
Inevitably Building Control is increasingly linked to Sustainability and Environmental requirements. BBS Environmental services complement and combine with the Building Control service to provide you with a co-ordinated approach.
Their competitive fees, tailored services and dedicated Building Control Surveyors, provide significant benefits for clients.
What is an Approved Inspector?
Approved Inspectors provide a cost-effective and client-friendly alternative to local authority building control.
Approved Inspectors are professional and specialist advisers. They guide clients through the maze of Building Regulations.
Once appointed, it is an Approved Inspector’s responsibility to take reasonable steps to satisfy him/herself that the building work complies with Building Regulations throughout the process.
When you use an Approved Inspector, they will take on responsibility for plan checking and inspection of your building work.
The procedure requires you and the Approved Inspector jointly to notify your local authority of your intended building work on what is called an ‘Initial Notice’. Once this notice has been accepted by your local authority the responsibility for plan checking and site inspection will be formally placed on the Approved Inspector.
Benefits of Using BBS Building Control Ltd
- We work with clients, design teams and contractors at a very early stage to help avoid Building Regulations problems – saving time and money from the start.
- With BBS Building Control you get a proactive service from experts who will help you to find solutions to all your Building Regulations problems.
- We are highly commercially aware (after all, we are running a business ourselves).
- We take a consultative approach to compliance.
- When involved at an early stage, we are often able to contribute innovative technical solutions to problems.
- We offer flexibility and creativity to meet your development objectives and help you to achieve full and total compliance.
- We become a seamless member of the design team.
- Not bogged down in bureaucracy, we are there to provide advice and ideas whenever and wherever you need help.
- We work with everyone, from domestic clients right through to the largest construction project contractors.
- We provide real consistency of advice that doesn’t change over borough or county borders.
- You will build a strong and effective working partnership with BBS Building Control.
- We are backed by insurance. You won’t find this in the public sector.
- We are regulated and monitored by the Construction Industry Council.
- You will receive a bespoke inspection regime. Approved Inspectors check the things they know need to be checked based on a much closer understanding of the project than you’d traditionally get.
- Approved Inspectors are recognised by the Government, and others, as having an important positive impact on efficiency and higher standards of service.
- Approved Inspectors understand innovation.
Quotation requests and Applications can be made online via the BBS Website address below
Head and Registered Office
Teaselwood Barn, Lamberhurst Vineyard, Furnace Lane, Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN3 8LA
F: 01892 890400
T: 01892 891282